Monday, August 20, 2012

East Maui Watershed Wao Akua 2012

Aloha All,

It's been a fun and busy time lately. Last Friday night was Third Friday Makawao Town Party, and the opening of the East Maui Watershed Wao Akua 2012 show. http://hawp.org/malama-wao-akua-2012/

 I am honored to have had two pieces accepted into the show.

I framed my carved wood block after I ran a couple of prints. The  texture of the woodblock along with the inked colors was rather exciting to me. I love to feel the grooves in the wood  when I carve..I find that it starts telling me a story as I slice and peel the wood from the block.

 As far as the print goes, I had not really liked it as a finished piece. So I  figured there was nothing to loose and ended up tearing it  into a collage. What an liberating experience that was!  I have to say that the finished product is rather fun. It's always great to experiment.

My subject was the 'Ohelo Berry, a native shrub that grows  high up in Haleakala Crater and along the  slopes as well. Nene Goose feed on these tart and colorful berries. The varied hues of pink and red against the stark landscape of the lava fields is a stunning contrast.

The East Maui Watershed folks are some of my Maui heros.. The work they do to protect our native species deserves kudos from all. The turn out at the show was huge. The community is in full support of their important work. Part of the proceeds from all works sold at the show are donated to this deserving group of dedicated stewards of the land..

Mahalo to All and Malama Aina,
Cherie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those entries both look great - congrats!

Anonymous said...

The piece turned out great.As an artist, I agree it is liberating to sometimes re-purpose a work when it doesn't at first turn out what we perceive as great. In this case, it turned out pretty amazing. I haven't experimented with a woodcut in a while, however, this art did get my imagination going, so maybe I'll work on one in the near future.My name is Marc, and aside from my love ofprintmaking, I also work for Bescover — where we love all things B&B! It’s truly a privilege being a part of your online community.