Friday, April 3, 2015

Orchids of Maui

Aloha,

Spring is in the air and this is the time of year  the Maui Orchid Society displays their award winning blooming plants for all to enjoy as part of the holiday weekend celebrations.

The members of the Maui Orchid Society are passionate about their plants. Their goal is to further  education, preservation and cultivation of orchids.
Whenever I visit one of their shows, I am impressed by the beauty of the blooms. Honestly however, the care, feeding and re-potting of  my orchids has not really every made it to my to-do list.
Although I  always enjoy orchids in my home,  I only know the names and types of a few of the more common varieties.  I've learned that orchids are much happier out in the yard  in the natural light and Hawaiian rain. Those living in the orchid house were feeling a bit neglected . 
Victoria, who has helped me here at Hale Ho'okipa for many years, is  knowledgeable about orchids and a member of the  Maui Orchid Society. 
Recently Victoria decided to give my orchids more of a chance to show off what they can do. She has scattered them around the yard, and they are obviously so much happier now. The plants that were moved to the front door of Hale Ho'okipa Inn have continued to bloom, welcoming arriving guests.
I noticed at the show today that several plants were not growing in soil, instead were suspended in open baskets hanging from lattice and screens. The nice grower I was chatting with, mentioned that this method of growing  is becoming more popular with great results. People will tuck them into the bark of large ferns or attach them to branches of tree trunks like air plants. They thrive in this manner as well. I just am not sure how to feed them if there is no soil. I'll have to ask Victoria how to feed these orchids with bare roots.

I am very happy that my orchids are blooming now with my appreciation and admiration, but not alot of needed attention.

May your spring be filled with fragrant and colorful blooms of all kinds.

Aloha,
Cherie  

No comments: