Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4, 2009, Makawao, Maui, Hawaii

Coolest Cowboy Hui followed by Russ the Saddlemaker in the Makawao, Maui, Hawaii, Fourth of July Parade, 2009

Aloha ...

The 4th of July parade was as colorful as ever this year. People go all out, and everyone loves it.

Politicians unveil their aspirations for the upcoming terms, the Peace marchers and Samba bands are in full force, the big rig truckers blow out everybody's eardrums with their air horns, and, I even learned where I can whiten my teeth for $99.

Maui Invasive Species Committee float in the Makawao, Maui, Hawaii, Fourth of July ParadeI enjoyed the MISC float (Maui Invasive Species Committee) "Defending the Aina," with the big snake wrapped around the truck going after a native bird. These folks were making a point: we don't have snakes in Hawaii, and we all want to keep it that way.

Long-horn bull rider in the Makawao, Maui, Hawaii, Fourth of July ParadeThe big longhorn bull was a huge hit! He was so calm strolling down the street. The hoots and hollers did not seem to bother him at all. I was a bit nervous, thoughts of the bulls throwing their riders sky high kept coming to my mind.

Pa'u riders in the Makawao, Maui, Hawaii, Fourth of July ParadeThe Piiholo Ranch folks put some major effort into their parade horses... the horses were blue (!) with red skirted pa'u riders.

Wow.


Stick horse pa'u rider in the Makawao, Maui, Hawaii, Fourth of July ParadeThey also put together a crazy float with a mini Zipline. The zipline is the latest craze for folks looking to fly through the tree tops. Check them out when you are making upcountry plans. I am waiting until my grandson is old enough to go with me.


Coolest Cowboy: Hui! In the Makawao, Maui, Hawaii, Fourth of July ParadeMy paniolo guests, Hui and Russ, are shown here. Russ is a saddle maker, check him out at Murray Saddle Shop. Hui is the colorful cowboy in the styling red boots and beautiful horse. He won an award in the parade for the coolest looking... I am sure they have a different title for it, though. They have been good fun to have around, I am learning a lot about cowboy stuff from them.

Classic Car in the Makawao, Maui, Hawaii, Fourth of July ParadeThe parade always starts with the vintage cars. A young boy sitting next to me gave me a running commentary on the year, model and makes of these show stopping automobiles. He was impressive. I used to have a 56 Chevy pick up with wrap around windows that I really loved. There was a teal colored one in the parade that gave me a thrill.

Watching the crowd is almost as much fun. There was lots of laughter, shakas and jokes all around. I like this tradition... it's a good feeling to be a part of a great community.

Shriners in the Makawao, Maui, Hawaii, Fourth of July ParadeAloha for now....

Cherie

No comments: