Thursday, July 23, 2009

Kuka' emoku... Iao Valley






Aloha,

One of my favorite places to visit, especially when my grandchildren are with me, is the spectacular and spiritual Iao valley. We enjoy bathing in the cold river and listening to the sound of the rushing water. Today we ate our sushi on the river bank, happy to cool down on this sticky hot Kona weather day.

Iao is considered very sacred because remains of high chiefs are buried in secret hiding places in the valley. Much of the valley is a Hawaii State Park, and protected.

I am only Hawaiian at heart, my bloodline is not tied to this land. Maybe because I spend so much time in nature, I do feel very respectful of the areas that I visit. At times I have asked the waters of this river to wash my cares to the ocean. I always come away feeling refreshed , clean, and grateful.

The Iao Needle, 2,250 feet high, was created by erosion. Looking towards the north shore, the Needle, often shrouded in clouds, was considered the phallic stone of Kanaloa, the Hawaiian god of the ocean. The word Iao refers to "cloud supreme" for the constant bank of clouds that covers the peaks of the mountains spilling into the valley. It is rare to see the spectacular West Maui mountains without clouds.

I am ever thankful for the lush beauty and bounty of this land.

May you all have a special place in nature where your balance is restored.

Much Aloha,
Cherie



Iao Stream Maui Iao Valley Hawaii State Park


Swimming Hole in Iao Valley, Maui, Hawaii


Trail steps in Iao Valley State Park, Maui, Hawaii


Iao Needle Mountain Peak in Iao Valley State Monument, Maui, Hawaii


No comments: