Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Designing Life in Hawaii

Aloha E Komo mai!

I am in an inspired mood right now. Usually a woodblock or watercolor image is sifting to the top of my thoughts with creativity calling for my attention. For many years my creative focus was a very large canvas called the " Old House." This wonderful old house was my subject matter, my inspiration, my muse, my headache and my challenge. Having little prior experience and a tiny budget, it became clear that my project was going to be "on going," forever it seemed.

The design and decor aspect of the bed and breakfast has been great fun. However, the sanding and scraping, roof repair, plumbing and dirty work, not so much fun.

My eclectic style was born from my Bay Area roots. I grew up around arts and crafts, and still hold it dear. I've never been drawn to the overwhelming bright tropical look that many Hawaii condos sport. Too much fluff, and not enough soul. Antique dealing was a passion for many years, and I still dabble on occasion. Great vintage items, that are good deals, always find their way to my door. Recently, I've been helping a friend with her Hawaiiana search, and her home shows the fruits of our labor. Our love of all things old Hawaiiana began with her purchase of my antique koa dining set, and has grown from there.

Today's design excitement was prompted by a visit from a guest and her daughter this last weekend. Cara Greenberg and Zoe spent a couple of days upcountry Maui at Hale Ho'okipa Inn. Cara's wonderful blog, "CasaCara Old Homes for Fun and Profit" brought her to my hale which she thoroughly enjoyed. In her words on her last post, MAUI Upcountry Ramble, the "homey hilltop b&b" was a perfect home base for their Haleakala explorations.

My heart started beating faster reading her posts--from salon style picture hanging to beach cottages. Cara is my kinda woman, one who enjoys punching out holes in walls to make a room more airy and pleasant. I always think like that when showing homes to prospective buyers, how to open up a space and add more light. In Hawaii, it is all about inviting the outdoors in!

OK, I've got my creative energy flowing, now to put it to work today, hmm, garden? My fall fruit and flowers are really coming on now that we've had some rain.

If you are thinking about a little time off to regenerate and relax, and maybe looking for some inspiration for your art or life, this is a beautiful time of year to visit the islands. I always say, in Hawaii, inspiration abounds!

Hele mai, come on, give me a call. I look forward to it!

Aloha,
Cherie

2 comments:

Maui Real Estate Search said...

Very well done, Cherie. It has an undeniable Hawaii feel with a touch of eclectic energy flowing through. Kudos.

Cherie said...

Mahalo for the nice comment!