Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Big Island Giving Thanks

Aloha,

Ahhh, home from my own personal Thanksgiving, a week early. My grandson, Aukai, just turned 9 years old, and we had a great weekend celebration. This is my Thanksgiving, and on this particular weekend, I have alot to give thanks for.

Aukai turned 9 with several classmates in attendance. We had a water slide castle set up with "No More Tears" shampoo making it extra fun, a giant bubble bath and water slide. The boys got pretty wild and had a grand time.

Kona on the Big Island often has to contend with vog, which is volcanic smog from the active volcano down south. This weekend was clear, and that alone is reason to celebrate. Check out the nearly full moon rising over Hualalai at the end of my first day. This happens to be one of my favorite views, a super special sight since it is often covered in clouds by the afternoon.

In the morning we went for an early hike up this beautiful mountain that towers above the coastal town of Kailua Kona. The native forest of ohia lehua and koa trees are always so comforting . Each old twisted silver tree trunk supoorting deep red blossoms always leaves me smiling and reaching for my camera. We hiked to the peak where we could see my home island of Maui just across the Alenuehaha Channel.

The weekend was not complete without our customary beach day. The weather was absolutely perfect, clear, light breeze and beautiful little waves. Main bonus, for some reason the weatherman reported no swell, and the beach was quiet without competition for the waves. Yipee! I was even enticed to go out.

I used to charge the waves quite a bit in my younger years. Now I have a bit of an inner ear issue due to a surfing mishap many years ago that keeps me from anything but mellow waves. The first fifteen minutes in the water were spent helping out a certain 9 year old who had a wipe out and lost his boogie board and his brand new surf trunks as well. Classic.

Family, freinds and nature at it's finest, I have much to be grateful for. Each and every day and night I give thanks for my sweet life. ....life is good.

With great wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday week spent with loved ones, I send Aloha out far and wide, and an invitation to come visit Maui and give thanks as well!

Mahalo for everything wonderful!

Cherie

No comments: