Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sweet and Sour



Aloha,

Each season in the islands yields different fruit...Today I realized that we are in the "sour" season. The lilikoi, aka, passion fruit is Going Off!! This is the time of year that they drop from the vine onto the cul de sac and escape down the hill, rolling their way to Makawao Ave. I have the more common yellow lilikoi, and the sweeter purple ones. Sweet is a relative term here. They are actually lip puckering, palette cleansers. I like them, and right now I have a guest who loves them. He is in lilikoi heaven, and feeling quite satisfied at breakfast.


The Surinam Cherries are also falling from the bush. They are super high in Vitamin C, and their flavor is face wrinkling, eye squeezing good. I can eat them all day, but then, I like adventure. The same guest also got a kick out of the cherries as well. They are tiny and bright red and really pack a punch. Today I learned that there is a dark purple version of this fruit that is a lot sweeter. I hope to get one of these growing soon.

The 2lb Winter Pear Avocados are my main meal right now as well. They are so buttery, creamy and delicious. My guests laugh when they see them. I always hear about the scrawny $5 avos that people buy "back home".


After sour season is pau, it will be sweet season. I am including a shot of my beautiful, luscious mangoes that are getting bigger by the day. This is a high altitude mango that is usually ready in time for the holidays. They are so juicy and sweet.. Something else to look forward to!

As always, the land provides, and I am blessed. I love sharing my garden bounty with my guests.

I look forward to breakfast with you soon!!

Mahalo, a hui hou......

Cherie


No comments: