Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wai-Wai


Aloha ....

It's been raining wealth in Hawaii this past week. The Hawaiian word for fresh water and wealth is one and the same: wai, and wai-wai (lots of water means lots of wealth). The East sides of our islands have had some pretty good soakings this last week, and I wanted to share some wonderful photos that my guests took on their adventure to Hana. The well traveled "road to Hana" is pretty darn breathtaking when the rain is really falling hard in the mountains, and on the East side of the island.

The roadside cliffs are often sheets of water sliding down the rocks and crossing the road toward the ocean. The road crews are busy keeping clear passage for all the folks who brave the Hana Highway in the rain. I always remind folks to be safe and stay out of the water on these days. Mother Nature is unscripted, and a huge amount of water can come down from the mountains causing flash floods.


Much of the water in Hana is diverted to the central valley for the sugar cane. This is a heated and controversial subject with many of the taro farmers in Hana. When we see this amount of water shooting across the falls and flowing to the ocean, it is hard to believe that there is not enough to go around. Equally hard to believe that these same falls are sometimes little trickles.

My German guests packed up all their photo equipment and headed out this morning for a photo expedition to Hana. I will add more great photos to this post as I receive them. I ask guests to send me some of their favorites when I see that someone is really into their photography.

These three wild shots are courtesy of Kevin and Lisa Zobrist. They shared some great pictures with me during their stay. Breakfast is sometimes a "show and tell" with all the guests passing cameras around the table. I get a chuckle seeing how enthusiastic everyone is. Serious photographers will often download their pics onto laptops for a slide show.


Taking pictures is such a wonderful way to share your adventures with family and friends, and is also a special keepsake to remind us of our good times on travels. My daughter and I both remarked today when we were chatting, how much we enjoy our ongoing slide shows on our computers of our trip together this summer.

So, Adventure Seekers, pack up your cameras and head on over to the islands. Winter is dramatic and makes for some amazing photographs and wonderful memories. See you soon!

With Aloha,
Cherie

No comments: