Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Art of Trash Maui




Aloha,

I just recently stopped in at the annual Art of Trash in Kahului . This wonderful show has been running for several years and it's always a treat.

The creator and founder of the trash shows is Ira Ono, a well known artist from the Big Island of Hawaii. I still have a goddess for the garden that Ira made years ago. He is a colorful and accomplished artist. I just love his drive to use recycled and re-used materials.

The first year of the show, an artist that I knew had created an amazing throne out of all re-cycled materials that she cleaned from the beaches. It was a wild piece of art embellished with old fishing nets.

This year featured an art display by our school children, and a super fashion show and music played with instruments made from recycled materials. Coffee filters, tattered tarps, garbage bags and all sorts of re-used materials made for some flashy fashions.

When I had my furniture store many years ago, I often sold furniture made from re-claimed wood. One of my biggest, and most expensive, lines came from the old railroad ties from Africa. The wood was so dense, it was heavy and felt like stone. I also had often featured a furniture builder who used the pallets from the docks to make great out- door furniture. It was funky and looked great in the yard.

Rethink your trash, it could be fun!

Here's to being creative and saving our land fills.

Much Aloha,
Cherie

No comments: