Sunday, June 10, 2012

Ag, Animals Fowl and Farm Maui

Aloha,

This is an unoffical start to Summer weekend with the kick off of Upcountry Ag and Farm Fair.
Two days of food, entertainment (of course, food and music!!!) presentations and a  Maui 4H Livestock show and auction gave the community an event to enjoy together .
I had a guest who flew in from the mainland to judge the  kids's animals for the show. We had an interesting conversation while I was making breakfast. I learned about beef, catagories and sub-catagories of beef, natural, grass fed, organic, conventional...etc. I told my guest that the best beef I have ever eaten was in Argentina.  For the last 30 years I have sampled some of the best beef on the planet..and I have to say that Maui Cattle Company is  ono as well.
This year's Upcountry Ag and Farm Fair is dedicated to the legacy of the Maui Paniolo, Hawaii's beloved cowboys. Alot of talk story going on in the tents that are honoring the resourcefulness of the paniolo.

While my guest was here I showed him what my hens have been giving me with this week, itty bitty eggs, and gigantic eggs, (!) the kind that do not fit into the pukas of the egg carton..I can't close the lid they are so big.
 My knowledgable guest explained the ends of laying cycles for hens and what is produced during these times. I think it's time to explore getting a few more chickens, now that everybody is under control again with ducks and hens all where they belong.

For now, welcome to summer!!!!..beautiful blue skies, nice tradewinds..Always a pleasure, hope we can still get some rain for the garden throughout the summer.
Alot of guests from Texas are showing up now..they tell me it's the time of the year to get the heck outa Texas, pretty hot from what I gather.
Come to Maui, cool off in the blue Pacific ocean, hike in the forest and relax at the end of the day on the back lanai of Hale Ho'okipa Inn.

See ya soon.
With Aloha,
Cherie

No comments: